When to Wear Hoop Earrings
When to Wear Hoop Earrings
One of the wonderful things about getting an ear piercing is the range of options you’ll have for accessorizing. And one of the most popular accessories on the market is one of the most unmistakable: the hoop earring.
In contrast to trying different hairstyles, a hoop earring comes with a surprising amount of versatility. You can dress it up. You can dress it down. You can opt for a casual “bohemian” vibe. You can class it up with a black dress. You can keep it conservative with small hoop earrings. You can go big with larger earrings. You can treat them as a statement piece, or you can—well, you get the idea.
Hoop earrings are some of the most versatile accessories you’ll ever own. But that also creates a problem. How do you know when to wear hoop earrings? What do they go with? Let’s dive deeper into one of America’s favorite accessories:
Why Hoop Earrings in the First Place?
Hoop earrings are one of those fashion trends that simply refuse to go away. We’ve seen all sorts of celebrities wear them, from Kim Kardashian and Beyoncé to Jennifer Lopez. Like any other fashion trend, they’ll be subject to being “in” or “out” depending on the year, or the season. But unlike many other trends, hoop earrings have been consistently “in” for a long time.
Hoop earrings are great because they’re simple, which means they’re versatile. The simple circular shape can do just about anything you need it to. Do you want to pair them with a casual T-shirt for a relaxed vibe? You can do that. Do you want to try a big hoop along with a turtleneck, highlighting the hoops as statement pieces? That will work, too.
Ultimately, how and when you wear your hoop earrings will come down to your plans. What do you want your outfit to look like, and how can hoop earrings help you achieve that?
Which Types of Hoop Earrings Should You Wear?
Truth be told, “hoop earrings” is a category of earrings, rather than just one specific type. That’s why it’s important to narrow down your options and discover which hoop earrings might be best for which situation.
- Gold hoops earrings are the classic hoop earrings made out of gold, either pure gold or plated. Gold earrings are known for their versatility. They can be worn down with a more minimalist style, or you can dress them up with other earrings and turn them into statement earrings.
- Large hoops take the hoop shape and roll with it. We’ve seen Rihanna wear large hoops that extended down to her shoulders. Large hoops also go well with a gypsy/bohemian look, which can be ideal for concerts and other outdoor events.
- Statement hoops can be large, but they’re often known as “statements” because they call so much attention to themselves. This can be dependent on the shape, design, and color of the earrings. But keep in mind that large hoops do often overlap with statement hoops.
- Tiny hoop earrings will be more reserved and conservative, which tends to make them more appropriate for dressing up. Larger hoops tend to create more of a “casual” vibe.
- Diamond hoops also tend to fit best with a dressed-up look. If you want the diamond to be the star here, it wouldn’t always make sense to match them with a crop top.
When Should You Wear Hoop Earrings?
Given just how versatile hoop earrings can be, the answer is simple. You can wear them almost any time if you can pull them off. Hoop earrings only tend to be less appropriate for athletic events, given the possibility of them getting caught in your hair.
Otherwise, wearing hoops can work in just about any situation.
- Casual events and get-togethers. This might not be the time to break out the diamond hoops, of course, since that would create an odd contrast between the value of the earrings and your more casual attire. Instead, you can wear large, simple hoop earrings to casual events to pull off a “quickly put-together” look.
- When you want to make a bold fashion statement. Versatile as they are, hoop earrings will always be ideal for anyone who wants to also create an eccentric, fashion-forward look. Whether your style is bohemian or casual-chic, the simplicity of the hoop shape makes it possible to add an off-balance element to your accessories. The larger they are, the more they throw off the proportions, which creates this “eccentric” vibe.
- Upscale events. Yes, hoop earrings are versatile enough that you can wear them to upscale events. Think black tie affairs, fine dining—anything that might come paired with a dress. In this case, the smaller hoops tend to perform best, as well as hoops with other types of gemstones.
Does this mean that you’re limited to these three categories? Of course not. As you try out hoop earrings with more outfits, you’ll discover that they’re versatile enough to wear to just about any event. They can even be good to have at home as you simply relax around the living room. But it’s important that you know how these accessories can fit within your current wardrobe.
How to Make Styling Hoop Earrings Work For You
Hoop earrings are such a broad category of earrings that you’ll want to start out by choosing the ones that suit you best. Do you prefer earrings with gemstones? You can find hoop earrings that meet that qualification. Do you want to wear statement earrings that suit your bold personality? Those won’t be hard to find—they’re everywhere once you know what you want to look for.
Ultimately, your best bet is to simply get started with one small purchase and find out how it fits into your current wardrobe. Work your way up! As you get more confident with your hoop earrings, you’ll find out what works for you.
Featured Alexis Jae Hoops
0 comments. Write a comment
Empty content. Please select category to preview